Sewu Kutho (English translation)

Hello, friends. 
Few days ago, one of an Indonesian maestro passed away. Yep, Mr. Didi Kempot.
I was so shocked when I woke up to that news, because I grew up with his songs since my parents loove his songs very much. I also saw him on TV quite often -- on the commercials, talk shows, and live concerts. 

Mr. Didi Kempot created soo many sad songs. All of his songs are in Javanese (bahasa Jawa). Because he created sad songs, people in Indonesia called him "The Godfather of Broken Heart". He is loved by many. Not just because of his songs, but also because of his super down-to-earth personality. People said, he has the ability to make everyone "broken hearted" through his songs without even have to experience it.

One of his songs that holds a special place in my heart is "Sewu Kutho" (sometimes written as Sewu Kuto/Sewu Kutha). I have listened to it since I was little. It literally means "One thousand cities". I can't relate to this song, but I just love it so much I wanna cry :((

Farewell, Mr. Didi Kempot.. you will always be remembered.


Maybe I'll try to translate his another songs such as Tanjung Mas Ninggal Janji, Ketaman Asmara and etc. 

Anyway, I tried to translate Sewu Kutho to English because (who knows) his international fans want to know more about the song. However, I added 'little spices' in some sentences but don't worry, it doesn't change the whole meaning. I tried my best, tho ^^"

Ok then, enjoy ^^

Note: I am sorry if there are mistakes in the translation. I am open to corrections and requests if you have any.

             ~~~***~~~

Sewu Kutho (One thousand cities)


Sewu kutho uwis tak liwati
      One thousand cities I've passed
Sewu ati tak takoni
     One thousand hearts I've asked
Nanging kabeh podo ora ngerteni
     But none of them knew  
Lungamu ning endi
     Where you are

Pirang tahun 
      After all these years
Anggonku nggoleki
     Searching for your figure
Seprene 
     Until now,  
Durung bisa nemoni
     I'm still unable to find you

***)
Uwis tak coba
     I've been trying
Nglaliake jenengmu saka atiku
    To erase your name from my heart
Sak tenane aku ora ngapusi
    The truth is, I'm not lying
Isih tresna sliramu
     When I say I'm still loving you

Umpamane
     In case
Kowe uwis mulya
     You live happily now
Lila aku lila
      I'll be more than relief to let you go

Yo mung siji dadi panyuwunku
     However, all I ask is
Aku pengen ketemu
     I really want to see you

Senajan
    It doesn't matter
Sak kediping moto
    If it's just a blink of an eye
Tak nggo tombo
    Let it be a medicine
Kangen jroning dada
     To cure my heart that is longing for you

Back to ***)

             ~~~***~~~

How does it sound? I'm afraid if it sounds cringy while in fact, it is not :( Let me know ok!!!

By the wayy, I want to highlight some sentences:
↣Sewu ati tak takoni - One thousand hearts I've asked 
    to me, it means that he asked people he met by their heart. "Do you know this girl?" (or the person Mr. Didi was searching for)
↣ Umpamane kowe uwis mulya, lila aku lila (In case you live happily now, I'll be more than relief to let you go)
    mulya means live in prosperity, have everything, happy
    lila means letting go (wholeheartedly) 
    to me, it has the meaning Mr. Didi would be happy to let her go only if she lives the life she deserves.   

  

Comments

Popular Posts